Friday, May 1, 2009

The Beginning

My son was diagnosed with a milk allergy at age four months when I tried supplementing breastfeeding with formula. He experienced facial hives and vomiting. At that point his pediatrician recommended avoiding milk until age 1. I avoided milk in my own diet until I finished breastfeeding. Since he has been drinking Nutramigen formula and I have avoided feeding him foods containing milk (what a project that is). I finally realized that we should confirm this diagnosis and had a skin test done which - unfortunately confirmed this allergy. Now the allergist says that it may be by age 3 or 4 until he grows out of this allergy. Bummer! The allergist also states that we can try to give our son foods with milk cooked in them - but I don't know if I'm buying this! I would rather have a negative skin test first. We'll see...

1 comment:

  1. Yay.. another dairy free blog!!

    Come check mine out too!

    http://dairyfreebetty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete